So a colleague and I had a private twitter conversation this evening regarding his inability to install iOS 5. He received the following message at the onset of the update process: “There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone ‘Friend’s Phone’. The requested resource was not found.”
We went through several steps, as I didn’t have the same experience as he did.
- Could he restore? No.
- Was he going through a USB hub? No.
- Was he using the latest version of iTunes (10.5)? No.
- Plug in the device via USB.
- Open iTunes.
- Hold down the power and home buttons on the iPhone for 10 seconds.
- Let up on the power but continue holding the home button.
- iTunes should detect that your device needs to be restored.